No products in the cart.
Apex Magazine Submission Guidelines
We are open to short fiction submissions. Please read the guidelines below then
submit your work via Moksha
IMPROVE YOUR WRITING
Co-EiC Jason Sizemore shows why practicing assertive writing is one of the most successful ways of escaping the slush pile.
Apex Magazine co-EiC Lesley Conner demystifies some of the procedures and protocols of submitting short fiction.
Author Marie Vibbert shares her wisdom and experience about the challenging art of writing effective flash fiction.
A free quarterly live-streamed critique show with Jason Sizemore, Lesley Conner, and another industry professional guest.
Our magazine is an SFWA-certified professional market.
- Co-editor-in-chief: Jason Sizemore
- Co-editor-in-chief: Lesley Conner
- Special Fiction Editor: Maurice Broaddus
- Nonfiction Editor: ZZ Claybourne
ORIGINAL SHORT FICTION GUIDELINES
1) Submit your work in Shunn Standard Manuscript Format (Modern or Classic). Your manuscript should be in DOC, DOCX, RTF, or ODT file format.
2) Maximum word length is a firm 7,500 words. Anything more will be auto-rejected.
3) Payment for original fiction is $.08 per word up to 7,500 words. Minimum of $50.
4) If we podcast your story, additional payment is $.01 per word up to 7,500 words.
5) If the work you are submitting is an English translation, please include the translator name and email address either in your cover letter or within your manuscript. By submitting, you are verifying in good faith that you have the right to have your translated work published in Apex Magazine.
6) Apex Magazine welcomes and encourages submissions from writers of all races, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and military status. We want diverse voices. We value diverse voices. Saying that, please be aware that we do not collect any information that might clue our editors to any of these attributes other than your name, email, address, and cover letter before any decisions are made regarding your submission.
7) Ready to submit your work? Head over to our Moksha account and upload your story!
Stories submitted by email or set via the postal service will be disposed of unread.
We do not accept unsolicited reprints.
PATREON FICTION POLICY
Our policy on work published to Patreon is that the story will be treated as a reprint and will be paid at our reprint rate. If you’re a pro-level writer (by SFWA affiliate standards) with a Patreon and have a story you’d like us to consider, please query first.
We currently do not publish poetry.
RIGHTS AND RULES
No simultaneous submissions. No multi-submissions for short fiction. We try to respond to all submissions within 30 days. If your story is under further consideration by our editor-in-chief or managing editor, then expect longer wait times.
Before you submit your work, please review the appropriate contract template. If we accept your work, we will expect you to be familiar with our terms. Thanks!
We are not taking artwork submissions or queries at this time.
SUPPORTING APEX MAGAZINE
Apex Magazine strives to be writer/artist/translator friendly. Here are some of the steps we take to make sure we remain writer friendly.
- Apex Magazine is open eleven months a year (we take a breather in December) for submissions.
- Out of 36 original stories published in a year, at least 30 are pulled from our slush pile. We don’t pre-fill our issues with solicited work.
- We don’t like narrow submission windows.
- We share our contracts for everyone to review prior to submission so that there are no surprises.
- Our first tier rejection goal is 20 days. If you make it past the slush team to Jason and Lesley, that can take a few months.
If you’re not already a subscriber, we ask that you consider tossing a coin to our Ko-fi account. You’ll be helping us keep the zine and site operating. Remember, $4 buys 50 words!