We are open to short story submissions.
Submit your work here.
Our magazine is an SFWA-certified professional market.
Editor-in-Chief: Jason Sizemore
Managing Editor: Lesley Conner
Assistant Fiction Editor: Maurice Broaddus
Nonfiction Editor: Shana DuBois
1) Submit your work in Shunn Standard Manuscript Format (Modern or Classic). Your manuscript should be in DOC, DOCX, RTF, or ODT file format.
2) Maximum word length is a firm 7,500 words. Anything more will be auto-rejected.
3) Payment for original fiction is $.08 per word up to 7,500 words. Minimum of $50.
4) If we podcast your story, additional payment is $.01 per word up to 7,500 words.
5) Apex Magazine welcomes and encourages submissions from writers of all race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and military status. We want diverse voices. We value diverse voices. Having said that, please be aware that we do not collect any information that might clue our editors to any of these attributes other than your name, email, address and cover letter prior to any decisions made regarding your submission.
6) Ready to submit your work? Head over to our Moksha account and upload your story!
Stories submitted by email or sent via the postal service will be disposed of unread.
We do not accept unsolicited reprints.
Our policy on work published to Patreon is that the story will be treated as a reprint and will be paid at our reprint rate. If you're a pro-level writer with a Patreon (by SFWA affiliate standards), and you have a story you'd like us to consider, please query first.
We currently do not publish poetry.
No simultaneous submissions. No multi-submissions for short fiction. We try to respond to all submissions within 30 days.
Before you submit your work, please review the appropriate contract template. If we accept your work, we will expect you to be familiar with our terms. Thanks!
We are not taking artwork submissions or queries at this time.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Apex Magazine.