We are open to short fiction submissions. Please read the guidelines below then submit your work via Moksha here.
Our magazine is an SFWA-certified professional market.
Editor-in-Chief: Jason Sizemore
Managing Editor: Lesley Conner
Special Fiction Editor: Maurice Broaddus
Nonfiction Editor: ZZ Claybourne
1) Submit your work in Shunn Standard Manuscript Format (Modern or Classic). Your manuscript should be in DOC, DOCX, RTF, or ODT file format.
2) Maximum word length is a firm 7,500 words. Anything more will be auto-rejected.
3) Payment for original fiction is $.08 per word up to 7,500 words. Minimum of $50.
4) If we podcast your story, additional payment is $.01 per word up to 7,500 words.
5) If the work you are submitting is an English translation, please include the translator name and email address either in your cover letter or within your manuscript. By submitting, you are verifying in good faith that you have the right to have your translated work published in Apex Magazine.
6) Apex Magazine welcomes and encourages submissions from writers of all races, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and military status. We want diverse voices. We value diverse voices. Saying that, please be aware that we do not collect any information that might clue our editors to any of these attributes other than your name, email, address, and cover letter before any decisions are made regarding your submission.
7) Ready to submit your work? Head over to our Moksha account and upload your story!
Stories submitted by email or sent via the postal service will be disposed of unread.
We do not accept unsolicited reprints.
Our policy on work published to Patreon is that the story will be treated as a reprint and will be paid at our reprint rate. If you're a pro-level writer with a Patreon (by SFWA affiliate standards) and have a story you'd like us to consider, please query first.
We currently do not publish poetry.
No simultaneous submissions. No multi-submissions for short fiction. We try to respond to all submissions within 30 days. If your story is under further consideration by our editor-in-chief or managing editor, then expect longer wait times.
Before you submit your work, please review the appropriate contract template. If we accept your work, we will expect you to be familiar with our terms. Thanks!
We are not taking artwork submissions or queries at this time.