We have wrapped up our year of original short fiction. Again, thank you to our readers, subscribers, and backers who helped make our return from hiatus a cause for celebration! We’re proud of the outstanding fiction and authors we had the opportunity to publish in 2021!
Quick by-the-numbers for stat fanatics.
- 8 issues released (Issues 121-128)
- 6 regular issues. 2 bonus issues (Indigenous Futurists, International Futurists).
- 48 original stories published
- 220,000 words of original fiction
There are a number of prestigious awards honoring works of science fiction and fantasy. Perhaps most notable of these are the Hugo Awards and the Nebula Awards. The stories listed below are eligible in the short fiction categories of most major SF/F awards.
Additionally, Jason Sizemore and Lesley Conner are eligible for the Hugo Award category of Best Editor (Short Form). They’re a co-editing team, so if you’d like to nominate Jason and Lesley, please nominate them together.
Apex Magazine is considered a professional magazine, so we are not eligible for Best Semiprozine Hugo category.
Apex Magazine 2021 Short Fiction
- The synchronism of touch by Gabriela Damián Miravete
- Soil of Our Home, Storm of Our Lives by Renan Bernardo
- Robin’s Last Song by Nina Munteanu
- Godmother by Cheryl S. Ntumy
- Dreamports by Tlotlo Tsamaase (Novelette – 7700 words)
- Samsāra in a Teacup by Lavanya Lakshminarayan
- To Seek Himself Again by Marie Croke
- This Shattered Vessel, Which Holds Only Grief by Izzy Wasserstein
- In Haskins by Carson Winter
- Whose Mortal Taste by Erin K. Wagner
- Hank in the South Dakota Sun by Stephanie Kraner
- I Call Upon the Night as Witness by Zahra Mukhi
- Security Breach at Sugar Pine Suites by Pamela Rentz
- Happy Trails by Theodore C. Van Alst, Jr.
- Marked by Bears by Jessie Loyer
- Spirits of the Broken Lands by Kevin Wabaunsee
- When Evening Arrives by Tiffany Morris
- An Incident at Hellpoint Prime by Norris Black
- COTTONMOUTH by Joelle Wellington
- Next to Cleanliness by Rose Keating
- Discontinuity by Jared Millet
- Candyland by Maggie Slater
- Gift for the Cutter Man by D. Thomas Minton
- Wake Up, I Miss You by Rachel Swirsky
- How to be Good by R. Gatwood
- Osu by Kingsley Okpii
- Survival, After by Nicole J. LeBoeuf-Little
- What Sisters Take by Kelly Sandoval
- Without Wishes to Bind You by E. Catherine Tobler
- Eilam Is Forever by Beth Dawkins
- The Life & Death of Mia Fremont: An Interview with a Killer by A.K. Hudson
- This Is the Moment, Or One of Them by Mari Ness
- Throw Rug by Aurelius Raines II
- Mishpokhe and Ash by Sydney Rossman-Reich
- All This Darkness by Jennifer R. Donohue
- Demon Fighter Sucks by Katherine Crighton
- Barefoot and Midnight by Sheree Renée Thomas
- The Amazing Exploding Women of the Early Twentieth Century by A. C. Wise
- Black Box of the Terraworms by Barton Aikman
- If Those Ragged Feet Won’t Run by Annie Neugebauer
- A Love That Burns Hot Enough to Last: Deleted Scenes from a Documentary by Sam. J. Miller
- Las Girlfriends Guide to Subversive Eating by Sabrina Vourvoulias
- Root Rot by Fargo Tbakhi
- Your Own Undoing by P H Lee
- Love, That Hungry Thing by Casssandra Khaw
- Mr. Death by Alix E. Harrow
- The Niddah by Elana Gomel
- Gray Skies, Red Wings, Blue Lips, Black Hearts by Merc Fenn Wolfmoor