2017 is right around the corner, which means it’s time for the annual Apex Magazine subscription drive! This year’s drive will run for three weeks – October 24th to November 15th.
Let’s do this! 2016 Apex Magazine subscription drive! Goal: $10000 https://t.co/uk099dbcNm
— Apex Magazine (@apexmag) October 24, 2016
Each month we bring you a new issue of Apex Magazine full of original short fiction, poetry, interviews, reprints, and nonfiction features. Every issue is brimming with writers both established and new, and we offer all of this content online for free. While our goal is to continue to bring fantastic science fiction, fantasy, and horror to every reader no matter whether they can afford to pay for content or not, producing such a publication is not free. That is where our amazing subscribers come in!
Subscriptions directly fund Apex Magazine, allowing us to share such wonderful stories as “The Gentleman of Chaos” by A. Merc Rustad, “Lazarus and the Amazing Kid Phoenix” by Jennifer Giesbrecht, and “The Laura Ingalls Exerience” by Andrew Neil Gray. They allow us to search out reprints by authors such as Aliette de Bodard, Lavie Tidhar, and Catherynne M. Valente, and to continue to support wonderful poets like Christina Sng, Crystal Lynn Hilbert, and Rodney Gomez.
After a very successful subscription drive last November, 2016 has been an absolutely amazing year for us. Looking to 2017, we want build on this year’s success and make it even more spectacular! We’ve already announced a couple of ways we’re planning to do this. We have both Maurice Broaddus and Dr. Amy H. Sturgis lined up to guest edit issues of Apex Magazine in 2017 (the April and August issues). Both of their issues will feature 20,000 words of original fiction and Dr. Sturgis’s issue will spotlight Native American and First Nations authors! We are extremely excited for both of these issues, but we want to be able to do even more in 2017.
One of our goals is to go from 12,000 words of original fiction per issue to 16,000 words. We would also like to raise the rate that we pay for original fiction from 6 cents a word to 8 cents a word, and raise our cover art rate from $60 to $100. To accomplish these goals, we need to make sure we have the funds.
This year’s Apex Magazine subscription drive goal is $10,000.
Completely doable, but not without the support of our readers and fans. To help us reach this goal, we’ve set up rewards that will add content to the January, 2017 issue of Apex Magazine, making it a double issue even bigger and better than last year’s! Those are big words considering how amazing issue 80 turned out to be, but wait till you see what we have in store. It is fabulous!
We already have an impressive lineup of original fiction scheduled for January. Stories by James Beamon, Lia Swope Mitchell, Iori Kusano, and J.J. Litke. The issue will feature two poems, a reprint, and interviews with an Apex author and our cover artist. Our cover artist for January will be Aaron Nakahara.
As we reach goals in our subscription drive we will add the following to the January issue, as well as a couple of rewards that will continue in every issue all year long:
- $500 – a third original poem will be selected by our poetry editor Bianca Spriggs (UNLOCKED!)
- $1,000 – a second reprint, “The Quiltmaker” by Mike Allen,” will be added to the issue. (UNLOCKED!)
- $2,000 – a new story by Ursula Vernon! (UNLOCKED!)
- $2,500 – a fourth original poem (UNLOCKED!)
- $3,000 – an interview with Nisi Shawl
- $4,000 – a new story by Nisi Shawl!
- $4,500 – a third reprint
- $5,000 – a second story podcast performed by Mahvesh Murad!
- $5,500 – an interview with John Hornor Jacobs
- $6,000 – a new novelette by John Hornor Jacobs!
- $6,500 – an interview with E. Catherine Tobler about her Jackson’s Unreal Circus universe
- $7,000 – we will add an additional 2,000 words to each issue of Apex Magazine in 2017, bringing the total up to 14,000 words per issue.
- $7,500 – increase pay rate for original fiction to 7 cents per word
- $8,000 – a new story by E. Catherine Tobler set in her Jackson’s Unreal Circus universe
- $8,500 – increase pay rate for cover artist to $100
- $9,000 – we will add another additional 2,000 words to each issue of Apex Magazine in 2017, bringing the total up to 16,000 words per issue.
- $10,000 – increase pay rate for original fiction to 8 cents per word
Wow! That is a lot of bonus content from some seriously amazing writers! Help us publish the most epic double issue to date and ensure that 2017 will another amazing year for Apex Magazine!
How? The Apex Magazine subscription drive officially kicks off October 24th. Between now and then, get ready! Tell your friends, tell you family, tell everyone you know about Apex Magazine. Join our Thunderclap campaign before November 1st! Share your favorite stories and help people you know fall in love with Apex just as much as you have. Get them pumped up to subscribe!
Then between October 24th and November 15th:
- Subscribe! Yearly subscriptions through Apex are only $17.95 from now until November 16th. You can also subscribe through Weightless Books. Monthly subscriptions are available through Amazon (US) and Amazon (UK).
- Share the love of Apex by purchasing a gift subscription for the sci-fi lover in your life.
- Become a patron on Patreon. Pledge as little or as much as you want for each issue.
- Buy a lifetime subscription! They are currently half-off at only $250!
- Get every issue of Apex Magazine currently published (1 through 90) for only $50!
- Get Apex Magazine issues 1 – 14 for $8!
- Get Apex Magazine issues 15 – 29 for $20!
- Contribute to the Apex Magazine Tip Jar to help push us toward our goals!
(Clicking ‘Donate Now’ will cause a popup to appear requesting payment information.)
If you subscribe via Amazon, please send our managing editor Lesley Conner an email at email@example.com. Amazon does not give us up-to-the-minute reports on how many new subscribers we have and we want to make sure that we have the most accurate tally of how close we are to our goals!